Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm assimilating

Tonight was Open House at the school and I caught myself saying something I never, ever, ever thought I would say. It was kind of like word vomit. But I'm not sure.

Many of the teachers, students, and parents at my school are from the South (and yes, I do think it needs to be capitalized), and as such have a wide array of accents. I hear very refined drawls to very severe twangs.

I guess talking to so many different Southerners all at once got me going.

As I was discussing with a parent where the best place to seat her child would be, I said:

"I might could put him over there."

Really? I don't even now how to might-could something!!!

4 comments:

Emma said...

That's too funny. I ended up saying things I never thought I'd say after living in TX! I don't think I have ever said "might-could" ;)

k.young said...

I had a boss who used to say that constantly in Idaho. I picked it up despite my best efforts. I have retrained myself, but every once in a while, I slip and say it. I hate it!

Erin said...

oh. a sad day!

Kimba said...

YOU DID NOT!!!!!!!! That is hilarious. I thought you were going to say "ya'll", but might-could is even better. So classic.