Monday, November 24, 2008

Help me name "Temp"



So I think this kitten is officially mine (don't tell Chris), and I'm thinking that it's time we stop calling him Temp--as in temporary. The problem is thinking of name that will match Richard Parker.

If you have no idea where Richard Parker came from, allow me to regale you with a tale. When Chris and I were engaged, we drove my car down to Houston from Provo after graduation. After a week or two there, I had to get home to Colorado to plan the wedding--I'm pretty sure my mom didn't want to do it on her own. Since the drive is about 16 hours, I went to Barnes and Noble and picked out an audio book, Life of Pi.

This book is awesome! I found myself making fewer stops along the way; and, when I did stop, I made them quick so that I could listen to the book. I mailed the book back to Houston so that Chris could listen on his drive up for the wedding. We both loved it.

While the book has large religious, spiritual, and philosophical motifs, the most fascinating part was when Pi Patel (the narrator) is trapped on a life boat with a variety of animals: an orangutan, a hyena, a zebra, and an adult male Bengal tiger named Richard Parker (name taken from the zookeeper in charge of his purchase). The book really is spectacular, even if my description is not.

I'll just say the the name for our cat is very fitting.

But now we need a name for this new cat that rivals that of Richard Parker.

Here's the criteria:


  • A name from a piece of literature

  • First and last name (Johnson not included)

  • Maybe a character with some kind of blindness (the kitten has a film over his left eye)

  • And, not lame

I was thinking Captain Ahab. Didn't he have one eye...or was that one leg? Captain Hook. Oh wait, that was one hand.


Help!

1 comment:

k.young said...

I'm dumb, but I will think about a name and see if I can come up with something to would match the list. Good luck.