Friday, November 14, 2008

You know it's bad when even your sweat pants make you feel fat

And other such musings...

Since we moved here to North Carolina (and perhaps before), I have shifted away from my normal "healthy" lifestyle towards a more "relaxed" lifestyle. What this translates to is about 5-7 pounds of stuff I didn't have six months ago...okay, maybe seven months ago. I attribute this to the craziness of graduation, packing, and moving. Lets be reasonable, it's really hard to eat-in when you sell all of your furniture on Craig's List three weeks before you actually move--thanks for the low price point, honey.

But all of that can only be blamed for any weight gain in maybe April-June. Beyond that, I think I just got lazy. I worked out a lot all summer. There was nothing else to do. I was at the gym for 1-2 hours about six days a week. But I didn't see any weight loss--I must have been building muscle, right? Then, when I started working (even though it was part time), it got harder to work-out and less likely that I would be cooking at home.

All of this would be a non-issue if it didn't mean shopping for new jeans. I hate shopping for jeans. I have bought two pairs in the last three years (one of which cost...oh lets just say "a lot" of money), the other was a great pair of stretchy, wide leg from H&M ($30). My expensive pair are still fabulous and I would still wear them everyday if I didn't have a serious case of muffin top going on when I sit down.

I think part of the reason it is so frustrating is that when you need a bigger size, it means you go up two numbers in the size scale. Chris had to buy new jeans this week (because of a hole in the knee) and his sizes move in ones (i.e. 32-33-34). I could handle that. One number is more manageable. But two? I once watched a show about how sizing is changing in the fashion world to make women think they are smaller than they are. A size 4 in a discount store is really an 8 in a high end store. It's all one big conspiracy.

I'll show them...from now on, I will wear sweats. Take that fashion world. You just lost my business.

At least until I save the money to buy another pair of jeans priced way too high (its because the denim is imported, they say). Well so are the pants from Old Navy, but you don't see those going for $180.

Now you know why I promised my husband that I would never buy a pair of jeans again.

3 comments:

k.young said...

I am sure you look fantastic. You always look fantastic.
That is a lot of money for jeans. I couldn't dream of spending that on jeans.

Kimba said...

I think you look fabulous. Also? I hate jean shopping too.

But I'd go right now...I miss normal clothes shopping that much...

Dernicks said...

You're so funny! If it makes you feel any better, I haven't been doing Body for Life since... oh, I can't even remember. It's been forever since I had yogurt and cottage cheese.

I hear your pain and hatred towards jeans shopping. My fat jeans have turned into my skinny jeans now... and I refuse to buy new jeans! I blame the weight gain on school and cold weather. We need more insulation in the winter. It'll be better when summer comes. ;)