Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Venting

Here I am trying to write a quiz for my students to take on Friday (being so proactive because it's only Wednesday, after all), when I hear one of the cats throwing up. I immediately go running to find the culprit and attempt to move him to a non-carpeted area. I was too late. It was the kitten. Again.

We find cat vomit all the time. All the time, I say! The kitten (still unnamed) doesn't seem to understand that he isn't a stray anymore. It's like he lives by the feast-or-famine rule and always thinks that the food will someday disappear, and that he will be back on the streets scavenging. As such, he eats a lot. A lot, I say! And as such, he vomits.

He also wakes us up every morning about 15-30 minutes before my alarm goes off. Not cool.

The other one, Richard Parker, the eldest and so-called example for the kitten, continues to pee on my furniture. Two days ago, he peed on my quilt that was on the couch. Sorry Mom and Dad; I hope it doesn't smell when you use it in two weeks. And today, I stopped at Subway for dinner on my way home from the gym because Chris had a work thing he was going to and I really didn't want to eat another frozen dinner, and when I got home (ten minutes after Chris left), Richard Parker had peed on the couch. Again.

For those of you who don't know, this has been a problem for almost a year and a half. We have tried everything, including depression medication. At what point do I say, "That's enough"? (And yes, the question mark is supposed to be on the outside of the quotation mark because the statement inside is not a question, rather it is the whole sentence).

And all of this is on top of my already overwhelmed feeling from work. I bring it home everyday. I grade papers, plan lessons, agonize about their success, and worry about my job status for next year (last hired, first fired) all the time. I can't seem to relax.

And spring break is still over two weeks away!!!

AHHHHHH!

I hope you have found my venting enjoyable. I just wish I had some ice cream. Maybe if I think really hard, Chris will sense my need and stop for some on his way home.

If you can hear me honey, Ben and Jerry's Half Baked.

4 comments:

k.young said...

Sorry! I can't imagine cat vomit is any fun! I hope it gets better soon.
Being a teacher is tough work. I watch my mom do it everyday, and she always brings it home with her! That is a sign of a good teacher.
How lucky are you that you can eat ice cream and still look as good as you do?!

Erin said...

you are a better cat mommy than I am. I would have said "that's enough" over a year ago!

hang in there!

merathon said...

get rid of the cats, i say! (then again, i'm not really a good one to ask since me no likey the cats!) but seriously, it's bad enough when your kids puke-- i'd have no patience for animals doing it! you'll be a good mom someday! :)

Debbie said...

haha, I totally do that 'sense what I need you to bring home' thing... but i don' think it's ever worked.
i hope spring break can make up for it all!