Friday, October 17, 2008

The other cat

Early this evening, one of our neighbors came over to ask if our cat was at home. She said there was a cat in her garage and just wanted to make sure it wasn't ours (Richard Parker did make his way into their garage once this summer when he was supposed to be helping me water the plants). I told her that if it was a dark cat with a bushy tail, that its a local cat that I see outside all the time.

About ten minutes later I was sitting at the computer when I heard loud meowing from outside. I looked out the window to see a small cat (not the dark one with the bushy tail). I went downstairs, stepped outside, and called the cat to me. He came running over meowing at me (obviously not a stray cat), and I saw right away that this cat is actually a kitten. I picked him up and he immediately started purring and rubbing his face against mine (no worries, he appears to be very clean).
I brought him inside and started explaining to Chris that this is not a cat that should be wandering around in the rain; he must be lost. Meanwhile, it took Richard Parker about three minutes to even notice that I was holding his new frenemy.

I decided that I couldn't just let this cat be lost forever, so I decided to take him in for the time being. We started knocking on some doors, but it was raining and a Friday night when most people are not at home in our neighborhood.
So for now, I have another cat. He lives in the bathroom downstairs for his own protection. Richard Parker is not sure what to make of the situation--lots of hissing, sniffing, growling, etc.

Chris already told me that if no one claims him tomorrow when we post some signs, I cannot keep him. I'm not sure he realizes how much I don't like animal shelters (too many cats, not enough homes).

3 comments:

k.young said...

You can't be a cat woman, you are married!
Or are you choosing cats, not kids??

Kimba said...

My friend just did the exact same thing - and now has to lock up one in the bathroom so that neither kitty eats the other. :) Good luck! Maybe you can find a "Kitty Whisperer"...

Jennie said...

Jenny,

I found your blog listed on Jenn-lee's blog. I think we are practically neighbors. We should have you over for dinner.

I had a cat when I was little that I loved, but she got old and disappeared. These days Catherine keeps me busy.