Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Compromise

On the second full day of our get-away, we took the boys (did I mention that we went with our friends that have a boy three weeks younger than Miles?) to an aquarium just 10 minutes down the road from our condo. I’ll be honest, my idea of beach vacationing involves just sitting on beach with a book and some sun, but I also realize that vacationing with a child requires much more flexibility and accommodation and, yes, selflessness, than what I am used to. And yes, I might have been a bit of a grouch about going at all, but I’m still new to this parenting thing—fyi, how long can I say that?


The aquarium was equipped with fish, of course, but also a variety of other things. Like quail. Weird, huh?


025


And an albino alligator named Luna, which Chris just informed me means moon. I don’t know why he thought I didn’t already know that.


030


Then we took the boys to the touch pool where Miles was pleased to pet a horseshoe crab. And maybe a starfish, but I can’t remember because there is no picture to prove it.


055




The aquarium wasn’t very big, but Miles’ attention span isn’t very long. Especially this day when he had been awake between the hours of 11 pm and 3 am. Teething? Being in a new environment? Being woken up by his parents walking in to the room? All of the above. So after a quick attempt at eating lunch there, we took our bundle of joy back to the condo for a nap while I got some quiet beach time.

No comments: